Thursday 12 April 2012

My incident at the public bath


Near my apartment there's a public bath. Interested to see if it was an onsen (hot, natural springs etc.), I took my shoes off and wandered in. The old man at the counter gestured me to pay, but I simply asked if I could 'have a look' without paying, pointing my two fingers from my eyes towards the steamed up, but still see-through window into the bathing area. 

The poor old man gave me a disgusted look and I suddenly realised he thought I wanted to take a ringside seat while a bunch of naked men took a bath. Needless to say, I was hurried out.

After consulting my colleagues, I realised it is simply an old public bath, not an onsen. It's tradition for people without a washing machine (or bath) to go there while their clothes get cleaned at the laundry next door.

Fortunately, I have my own washing machine and bath as I am now probably on the banned list after that episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment