Sunday 11 March 2012

Yo yo - my new hood


After over a month of living in hotels, I moved into my own apartment last weekend. I'm living seven train stops west of where I work, in a suburb called 'Yoyogi-uehara'. I like the narrow, winding streets and relaxed vibe. Below is a shrine-style house near my place that would be tacky anywhere else in the world.


It's residential, but has enough restaurants, bars and shops that you don't have to leave the area on the weekends. It also has a strong French influence (minus the people). My building is the one below and my apartment is the one with the open window.


My apartment is pretty small at 31 square metres, although by Tokyo standards it's quite spacious for someone of my level at work. It has a bedroom/ living room/ dining room/ kitchen as well as a bathroom and toilet (no need for pictures of those). It does feel a little cramped, but it could be worse; I could be living in this wafer-thin building I spotted in the area:


I took a selection of photos around the neighbourhood on the weekend to give you a flavour for what it's like. Notice the small dog poking its head out of the book store in the second photo. They love their small dogs in Tokyo, especially in Yoyogi-uehara, where they all have knitted jumpers or tweed waistcoats.




No comments:

Post a Comment